Freudian Theory Extended
· Castration Anxiety: Usually occurs in men as they have a fear of emasculation, or loss of genital organs.
· Phallus Symbols: Any object which is longer than it is wide, resembling the penis. This object also symbolizes power in men only.
· Chalice Symbols: Female symbol, epitomizing the womb of a woman. It is also commonly associated with flowers or water.
· Elektra Complex: Describes how young women look for qualities in potential mates which are similar to their fathers. For example, quality of protection.
· Penis Envy: Women wish they had male genitalia. Act of how women assume manly qualities.
· Libido: Sex drive.
· Manifest Content vs. Latent Content: Manifest Content is actually what is dreamed, while the Latent Content is thoughts which are hidden by the subconscious mind